Tuesday 18 February 2014

Spitfire under Llandeilo Bridge

Making good progress on my next commission drawing, the final painting will be a 3ft x 2ft oil of a Spitfire flying under Llandeilo Bridge, it's s pretty tight squeeze but apparently it was witnessed by a few locals, 
I am currently researching the story , the Spitfire apparently put down on Love Lodge fields which are some way down stream from the bridge , with mechanical problems , after being repaired the pilot took off and did a pass under the bridge ,
When I was approached to do this commission , the story intriuged me and decided to take it on,
There is a very interesting video on YouTube of a similar stunt performed by Ray Hanna in his Spitfire flying under Windton Bridge in Co Durham whilst filming for the 1988 tv series 'Piece of Cake'
It has an uncanny resemblance to the river Towy and the Llandeilo Bridge although Winston is made of brick rather than stone,
I  going to use photographic reference from Spitfires stationed at Pembrey during the war. indeed this could well be the squadron that the aircraft was attached to, 
Anyway back to the composition , I am toying with an idea of placing a framer and cows in the foreground will leave positioning the aircraft once the background is painted and finished. 

1 comment:

  1. Andrew I bet it will be a fantastic picture
    All the best , I still have the painting you did for me hanging over the fireplace

    All the best

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete